Sunday, May 15, 2022

CAKE, WONDERFUL CAKE

 I know what you're going to say when you see this cake. Who could create such a masterful concoction? 

Well, I wish I could take credit for it. I provided the mix, the strawberries, and a half-full container of whipped cream. I don't know how or why I thought it might make something useful, but I just couldn't stop myself any more than I could stop myself from spending money at Stonewall Kitchen shortly after crossing the Maine border.


It's a pretty simple story. 

I didn't bring my sister anything for her birthday. It wasn't intentional, and yet it was. I thought about a gift card, but it seemed . . . I don't know . . . normally it's fine, but we've both had a bit of a rough go of it. All of my siblings have.

So, instead I brought her a homemade letter-card and a promise of future shenanigans on my dime.

You have to understand -- I am the Queen of Shenanigans.

Don't listen to my friends or co-workers who say I'm a rule-follower. I won't deny that, as a middle child, I am all about justice and fairness. Equity? I call bullshit! Give us all equal and we'll barter from there. That's life. That's ingenuity. But, within the scope of these parameters, I am always willing to pull some stunt of minor proportions. 

You won't see me competing with Johnny Knoxville. But you might see me tease a rodeo clown -- or an NHL referee, which is pretty much the same thing. I might not steal a stapler off your desk, but I will dance for the security cameras in the hallways. I might not make very good small talk, but quote me some lines from Blazing Saddles and we can have a two-hour conversation without ever saying anything original.

Therefore, my sister gets for her birthday that wonderful letter-card, a promise of future shenanigans, and a boxed cake with too little whipped cream to make actual frosting. However, the chef in charge did an excellent job with the meager supplies I tossed on the counter. I threw in a small jar of Stonewall Kitchen jam just to sweeten the deal, but, honestly, the cake was pretty tasty and looked marvelous even without the added incentive.