Sunday, April 24, 2022

I CAN SEE CLEARLY NOW

 I'm anti-progressive when it comes to glasses. I read with my entire face. No, really -- when I am deep into reading a book, the last thing I want to do is hold my head and neck steady so I can read through the lower portion of my glasses. I've tried bifocals and it's just an unnatural way to absorb text.


So, I buy my glasses sometimes off Amazon but mostly at Christmas Tree Shop for $3 or $4 per pair. I have driving glasses and reading glasses; never the two shall meet. I always travel with an extra set of reading glasses in case I have a problem with one pair for some dumb reason. As for my driving glasses, I bring along one pair for regular driving and a pair of sunglasses (yes, at +1.50). 

Recently I drive with part of the fam to see other parts of the fam. No problem, right? I have my driving glasses, and all is right with the world.

Until it isn't.

Saturday night, about thirty hours into the trip, I bust my driving glasses. It's okay because they're cheap glasses, and also it's okay because I still have my sunglasses. I just can't drive until the sun actually comes out. Part of the way into Day #2 of the driving, we stop at a pharmacy chain store. Surely they will have reading glasses in various strengths. They do!  Two pairs: 1.00 (zero magnification, so just for show) and +3.0 (even stronger than my readers). 

Luckily, about six hours into the day, we stop at a convenience store/gas station. Voila! They have glasses, tons of them. I have to pay $19.99 plus tax for new driving glasses, but our safety is worth the money spent. for the price I paid for one pair of glasses, I could go to Christmas Tree Shop when I get home and buy five pairs in various colors and patterns and shapes. 

Next time, though, it's "lesson learned" for me. I will bring back-up driving glasses on road trips, too.