Sunday, March 27, 2022

TELL ME, MAGIC 8-BALL, TELL ME TRUE

 My students and I rely on an old-school method to make important decisions:

THE MAGIC 8-BALL

That's right. Good old-fashioned make-believe voodoo. You remember the Magic 8-Ball, right? It's a plastic dome, black in color, with a white 8 on it. When shaken, it gives yes or no answers, often with a flair of sassiness.

We always start out the same way when asking a question. I shake the Magic 8-Ball and say, "Oh, Magic 8-Ball, (insert question here), tell me, tell me, Magic 8-Ball, tell me true!"

For example, sometimes I will ask the Magic 8-Ball if we are going to have a great weekend, or will we do well on a test, or if the weather will be favorable. Sometimes we get "You can rely on it!" and sometimes "Ask again later" and sometimes just the simple "Yes" or "No."


Recently we had some outlandish behavior in the class, and someone wanted to know if I would be tolerating that for much longer, since there are days when I am stricter than others. So, we decided to ask the Magic 8-Ball how things might progress in the area of their behavior and my temper/tolerance level.

As you can see, the rest of the class went very well . . . for me.  Bless you, Mattel. Long live the Magic 8-Ball!