Sunday, July 26, 2020

PAYBACK FROM THE ELECTRIC SKY

It's no secret (from last week's blog) that the weather has not been kind to us. We are in this strange pattern of mind-sucking heat followed by hours upon hours (sometimes even days) of unsettled, severe, disorienting thunderstorms and rain and hail and flash flooding.

I have been wary of taking the kayak out because sometimes the radar is clear, then moments later I am cowering with a headset on because thunder is shrieking all around. Some of these sudden and unanticipated squalls have uprooted trees and taken down live wires in a matter of seconds. It's almost like, "What in the freaking fuck, Mother Nature, are you smoking?"

In honor of the continued feud between the weather and me, I have taken to communicating with my weather app the way most people do with Siri and Alexa. The app, appropriately named What the Forecast, is probably the most honest, reliable, and truly direct of all the weather apps out there.

Oh, sure, I still check the local news radar and the radar on my phone that is put out by The Weather Channel. But how can anyone argue with succinct reality? Enjoy the next few days, folks. It looks like three days of ass-blistering heat followed by three days of mind-numbing heat, sure to be followed by days of unpredictable payback from the angry electric skies.