Sunday, May 10, 2020

MASKING MOTHERS' DAY

It's Mothers' Day.  Kind of a suck being stuck in our homes.

We can, however, go out if we are wearing masks and properly socially distancing ourselves from others.  So I have taken it upon myself to sew masks for family members.  Each of my children has received several masks from me, made with clean but excess fabric from my sewing days, and lined with layers of interfacing.  I figure if we are going to go out, we should have some fashion options.

For example, my daughter and her boyfriend got a couple of my early mask models, mostly failures, but they good-heartedly took the masks, anyway.  My youngest got masks made out of his clean leftover shirts and sports towels, so he has a Bud Light mask, among others.  My eldest received some masks, one made from a college lacrosse shirt, plus masks for his family, including for his kiddos.

My daughter is a nurse, so she is also getting headbands with buttons to protect her ears (plus a whole bunch for people with whom she works).  I used up all of the decent buttons in the old family button box (some of those buttons were pure vintage), plus online companies and I have had an interesting button and headband business going.

It's good, though.  I mean, yes, I am still working longer and harder than I have ever worked (or at least since raising kids and going to grad school while working full time), but I have been able to rediscover a semblance of my Mom Duties, which have been a large part of my adult life.

So, here's to being stuck in my home.  But, here's also to Mothers' Day.  May we all find a little meaning in our lives during this awkward, unprecedented, and fractured family time.