Sunday, March 15, 2020

SHARING AND HOARDING

COVID-19 is here, folks.

It is in my school district, and it is in the trial court where I served jury duty (and was impaneled under oath for several hours during jury selection) on Monday.  With schools shut down, the kiddos are now being driven into the regular population, rather than controlled inside the walls of buildings.  With public transportation still operating, we are all sucking in the same air as those around us, and, subsequently, allowing expelled air and germs to settle onto our clothes and in our lungs.

It's inevitable.  And because I find the whole thing hysterically hysterical, I'll be the ironic one to die of it.

By hysterically hysterical, I am, of course, referring to the  hoarding of certain items.  I can understand things like bleach cleaners and hand sanitizers.  I even semi-understand the toilet paper situation, except that COVID-19 is a respiratory illness, therefore tissues should be going long before TP.  I suppose it has to do with quarantine situations.

There are some hoarded items that I do not understand, though:  flour and trash bags.

I mean, truly, what are you going to do -- BAKE away the virus?  FLOUR DUST it into oblivion?  Maybe baking snacks, I guess; that I can understand.  Except that if you end up as infected, now everyone who eats the baked goods will also be at risk, and so on and so on.

But, people: What's with the hoarding of trash bags?  Are you going to duct tape together your own Hazmat suit?  Are you covering your windows?  Are you waving the bags at the virus like a toreador? Dare I even say it ... makeshift body bags?

So, be kind to each other.  Share your food, share your trash bags, and share your friendship but let's try to NOT share this damn virus.