Sunday, October 20, 2019

ALL AUTUMN IN A MINUTE

I don't know what's going on with autumn around here.

First, the limited colors were boring, not vibrant at all, and kind of brownish.  If autumn had been a crayon over the last few weeks, it would be burnt sienna.

Then, we finally got some rain, and, although it may just be an Old Wive's Tale, some of the color started to pop.  Bits of red here, some orange there, yellow starting to come out.  But the sun alluded us, so photos were tame, almost faded without the bright blue background of clear sky.

Suddenly, a big storm started up the coast, bringing with it pounding rains that flooded basements along with gusts of wind that toppled trees and knocked out power.  Many of the trees that were finally getting some vivid color sat naked, completely stripped of their leaves.

Today, though, is brilliantly clear.  The sky is bright blue, and the sun dances through the remaining leafed trees.  I decide to drive the long way around as I am running errands.  I see a yellow tree and ... another yellow tress ... and still another yellow tree.  I stop at two cemeteries in different towns because that's where the colors are usually the brightest.  (If you don't believe me, venture into an old New England graveyard where you'll find the best and most interesting trees.)

More yellow trees.  It's almost as if the wind has stripped any red and orange trees of their chance to shine.  Oh, sure, the yellow trees are gorgeous, but still.  The whole beauty of fall in New England involves the multitude of fabulous hues.  This, however, is like watching fall happen in yellow tunnel vision.

I finally find a partially orange tree that has not been stripped of its leaves.  Somehow it survived storm damage.  This is when I also notice a preponderance of still-green trees.  It's almost as if autumn has not yet happened, is happening, and has already happened, all at the same time.

I truly don't know what's going on with autumn around here, but I can tell you this: I'm glad it's finally here.